This recipe was presented to me as a sort of “gratin” with the potatoes taking the place of the heavy cream in the sauce. Although, I really liked the outcome of the recipe once I made my low-cal changes to it, it didn’t feel “gratin”-y, if you know what I mean. What this reminded me of was a broccoli and cheese stuffed baked potato. Delicious in it’s own, but a gratin it is not. So, I present to you, Broccoli and cheesy potato bake. It looks i little crazy, but everyone in my house enjoyed it. Even the tiniest one (4 yrs old) enjoyed it, and the biggest one (my husband) even ate the leftovers!
- 12 oz yukon gold potatoes
- 10 oz uncooked broccoli florettes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded, or powdery, but i prefer shredded)
- 1/4 cup 2% shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon light margarine or light butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
1. Wash, peel. and cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Mix all 3 cheeses together in a bowl, and set aside.
2. Place potatoes, broccoli, and 2 1/2 cups of water into a pan. Cover with a lid and bring them to a boil.
3. Allow potatoes and broccoli to boil, covered for about 17 minutes.
4. Drain Potatoes and broccoli, but reserve some of the water in a separate bowl for later.
5. Return drained potatoes and broccoli to the pan, and use a spoon to smush the potatoes and broccoli together, until there are no chunks of potato left.
6. Mix in about 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water, salt, pepper, nutmeg, butter, and 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Spread evenly in 1 quart baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
7. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top, and broil until cheese is melted and begins to brown. 2-4 minutes or so.
Makes 5 servings= 140 calories per serving
approximately 3 weight watchers points plus per serving