So, I was super excited about this dish. Not even because Pasta Carbonara is delicious, but because, it’s a little more complicated, as far as cooking goes. If you don’t do this just right you’ll end up with spaghetti and scrambled eggs, so, listen up and read the directions carefully :) I hope you guys enjoy this as much as we did. Be careful about the bacon you buy. you should get a package that’s no more than 70 calories for 2 slices (my favorite is 50 cals).
- 4 Slices of Center cut bacon
- 4 TBSP finely chopped onion
- 12 oz of pasta (i used fettuccini, but spaghetti works too)
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup 1% milk
- 2/3 Cup Shredded parmesan and Romano cheeses (i used a mix of Parm/romano/asiago)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 12 oz Boneless, skinless chicken
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (for chicken)
- Season chicken, and get it on the grill. When it’s done grilling, pull it off and set it aside for now.
- Cut bacon slices into little pieces using kitchen scissors, about 1/4 inch square.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon on medium high heat until it’s crispy.
- Start a pot of boiling water for your pasta, and once it boils, toss the pasta in to cook.
- While Bacon is cooking, mix the following items in a large bowl: Eggs, Milk, Salt, Pepper, cheese. Whisk until everything is smooth and well incorporated. You need to do this while the bacon is cooking. The egg mixture needs to be ready to go when the pasta finishes cooking. You don’t want to let the pasta sit.
- When bacon is finished cooking, remove bacon bits and set aside. Leave grease in pan and use it to sautee the onions until soft, then set the pan, with onions and grease, to the side.
- When pasta has finished cooking, remove 1/3 cup of the water before draining.
- Very slowly poor the pasta water into the egg mixture, while whisking constantly. If you’re pouring the water too fast, or not stirring you may end up cooking the egg, which you don’t want yet.
- Once Pasta water and egg mixture are well combined, drain your pasta. Don’t let it sit and dry out or cool down. It’s alright if you don’t get all the liquid out entirely.
- Put the pasta into the bowl and mix with egg mixture. You need to be stirring constantly.
- Pour egg and noodle mixture into the pan with bacon grease and onions. Stir over low heat for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. The sauce should begin to thicken.
- Once sauce has reached a good consistency (silky and smooth), mix in bacon and divide evenly into 4 plates or bowls.
- Slice chicken and divide among dishes.
Garnish with crushed red pepper or fresh parsley if desired.
Editors note: Seriously. don’t stop stirring, and don’t turn the heat up too high once you get everything in the pan! You’ll end up with scrambled eggs, which is not what we’re going for here :)
Makes 4 servings= 550 Calories per serving
Approximately 14 weight watchers points plus per serving