I’ve fallen in love with the Chinese Chicken Salad at California Pizza Kitchen, so I set out to find a recipe that would allow me to come close to this delicious dish at home, and I have to say this is pretty darn good. It lacks the fried wontons that I love on the CPK version, but that just lends it to be even lower in calories, and to be honest, it is delicious without them, so I hardly even missed them. I encourage you to try this one out. I made it “Quick and Easy” By chopping all the veggies and combining in a large ziploc bag the day before. I also went ahead and baked 2 chicken breasts and set them aside. The day I had them for lunch, I just mixed the dressing, chopped the chicken, threw in the sesame seeds and almonds and mixed it all up with the lettuce mix. This was yummy.
Editors Note: The dressing is a little on the sweet side, which i don’t mind. If you like things a little less sweet, go with 2 TBSP Splenda brown sugar and subtract 15 Cal per serving.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 head of Napa Cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded (Julienne) carrots
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped
- 10 oz boneless skinless chicken breast (seasoned with salth and pepper and baked or grilled)
- 2 TBSP Roasted Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 1/2 TBSP Sesame Oil
- 3 TBSP peanut butter
- 4 1/2 TBSP Hoisin Sauce
- 1 TSP Asian Chili Sauce
- 4 1/2 TBSP Rice Vinegar
- 3 TBSP Splenda brown sugar mix
- 1 1/2 TSP grated ginger
- Prep all your veggies. Chop your lettuce, cabbage, scallions, carrots, and cilantro, and mix together. If you do this ahead of time, store in a big sealed ziplock bag in the fridge.
- Salt and pepper your chicken, and either grill or bake it ahead of time. I don’t like hot chicken on a cold salad, so i give mine plenty of time to cool.
- Assemble your salad by mixing the lettuce mix with your chicken and adding sesame seeds and almonds.
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl with a wisk until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add Dressing to salad and mix everything together until dressing is evenly coating other ingredients.
Note: To serve as a side, omit chicken and serve as 8 servings. 155 cal per serving
Makes 4 very generous portions
1 Serving= 400 Calories
Appx 8 weight watchers points plus per serving