So, I feel sort of silly even listing this as a “recipe” because it’s so stinking simple. But, I guess it’s the contribution of the homemade, very low calorie dressing that makes it legitimate for me. I hope you guys enjoy. Keep in mind here, that I only feel like I need a little dressing on a salad these days. Some folks may want more dressing, so I’ve added some additional info on how to get more dressing for not too many more calories. This recipe is for 1 side salad.
- Romaine Lettuce, 2 cups chopped
- Red onion, 2-3 TBSP chopped
- 1/4 of a medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped (you can peeling and seeding, but I don’t like eating peels or seeds in my cukes)
- 1/4 of a medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- about 1/8 tsp of Italian seasoning (herbs like oregano, basil, etc)
Add all veggies to a bowl.
Use a small container to mix together oil, vinegar, and Italian seasoning. You’ll see that I’ve decided to use a children’s medicine spoon. It holds the ingredients perfectly, helps you to measure them, and pours easily. Just place your finger over the top and shake until everything is combined. If you’re using a tiny bowl instead, you may have difficulty whisking such small amounts together, but give it a go anyway. I have faith in you. (but seriously, if you have one of these spoons… so awesome)
Makes 1 side salad
Salad Only: 30 calories
Salad with dressing as shown: 75 calories (1 ww points plus)
Want more dressing? Use 1 more teaspoon of vinegar for only 5 more calories. If you add more oil, it’ll be 40 calories per tsp.